Monday, July 4, 2011

This is the End...

Happy 4th to all my fellow Americans! Here's an AOL Radio station called  Patriotic Songs to get you into the spirit, and may the day be a good one and your celebrating be grand. Now, why I guess I really wanted to write this was to commemorate the 4oth anniversary of the passing of one of my favorite frontmen in rock & roll Jim Morrison.
Like most likely a lot of Doors fans around my age, my first exposure to them was via Echo & the Bunnymen's cover of "People Are Strange" in the film The Lost Boys. Of course, at the time, I was too young to know it was a cover and years later I heard the orignal version & thought it was cover. I also thought the band doing it was pretty good lol. Then not to long after that, I went to Virgin (remember them?) and was flipping through the posters and recognized the face staring back at me as the same one I saw in that "movie with Val Kilmer in it". Next came buying the albums and the rest is history. Since then, The Doors have been one of my favorite bands and still mean a lot to me. Their music is timeless and undated, and Jim's lyrics were unlike anything at the time (plus those leather pants add to him being the forefather of goth I think). And yes, being  a girl, he's not hard on the eyes:p. Of, course, the tragedy is what might have been, and from time to time, I do wonder. Jim would be 67 today and I also wonder what he would think  of how long his legacy's endured and how well known and loved around the world his band still is. I am sure he'd be more than pleased that two more books of his poetry have been published and used in colleges. So Jimbo, where ever you may be,  you'll always be missed and, for us, the music will never be over... 

No comments:

Post a Comment