Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mid Century Madness

Barbie and Ken do Mad Men


It's no secret that I LOVE the 60's...the clothes, the music, the culture, and it seems that lately there's been a resurgence of interest in that time...in TV at least. Thanks to one of my favorite shows Mad Men, not one, not even two, but three new shows this year are set in the 50's or early 60's. First there's the BBC show The Hour which contains two things that intantly got me: the 1950's and London...1956 London to be exact and is about an aspiring, up and coming news team (is it me or does lead gal Bel look a bit like Drew Barrymore?). I've yet to see the first episode, but I will tomorrow, and will deliver my verdict after I do. Next up is NBC's The Playboy Club which has it's series premiere next month on the 19th. For those that haven't yet seen the ads that have been airing relentlessly on the network, the show takes place in the early 60's in one of the infamous Playboy clubs founded by Hugh Heffner. From what I've seen from those ads so far, a murder is involved along with plenty of back stabbing and intrigue I'm sure hahahaha. Last but not least, there's ABC's Pan Am which premieres the following week on the 25th. For this one, we take to the skies as we follow a group of Pan Am stewardesses in the early 60's. Another thing I find awesome? That it stars one of my favorite actresses Christina Ricci. While I love her in her darker roles, I'm interested to see how she'll take this one. Of course, I can't wait for the return of M M, especially since the premiere episode will be directed by Don Draper himself, Jon Hamm. Needless to say, I'll be digging out my garb inspired by and books  about the era and enjoying the view...if only I'd been quicker on the walk on part on M M draw though...
Barbie does Pan Am, 1966


The Hour:
BBC America site
Mad Men:
AMC site
Pan Am:
ABC site
The Playboy Club:
NBC site
Happy Viewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment